3.11.2010

Infiltration

Infiltrate: to penetrate, or cause to penetrate, (a region or group) gradually, stealthily, so as to attack or seize control from within.

A day or two ago we got the notice in the mail that informed us that we will be getting a census in the mail in the coming days. It encouraged us to fill out the ten questions and return the form promptly.

I think the census is very important. I am intending to comply with haste.

Then today, I was studying, as usual, and I suddenly felt like I needed a change of scenery. I have been getting ready for finals for the last two days, and I have hardly left my spot at the counter where I am working on my final assignments. I decided to take a break and hop in the car and go get some lunch in town. I took along a text book to study while I ate.

I went to one of my favorite places that serves fortune cookies with the meal. Part of the reason I love that establishment is that the fortunes in their cookies are particularly good. I love fortune cookies, and I save my fortunes in a dish in my cupboard to see if any of them come true.

I was very surprised to find this in my fortune cookie.



Very surprised.

So I went and got myself another cookie just to see if it was a fluke.

My next cookie said this.



Now I am wondering if the Census Bureau has infiltrated a perfectly good fortune cookie factory. What is the world coming to? Seriously.

10 comments:

Jane said...

Oh my gosh...this is hilarious! Ha ha ha, how weird!

As a sidenote, there are a bunch of signs around campus here advertising the census...they are SO cheesy and you can tell the people were trying to market the census as being all cool and hip and appealing to young people...like "let your voice be heard" etc. SO DUMB. It's a CENSUS! But those ads are not nearly as bad as the fortunes...

Katie and Randy said...

oh wow! too funny. we got a letter telling us that another census letter would be mailed to us next week. It talked about the importance of filling it out. kind of seemed like a waste of paper and postage. why not include that same message with the real census forms?
i guess you can say 2 fortunes will come true!

LeAnn said...

I am SEETHING about that census letter. Do you know it cost $40 MILLION just in postage??? And the government says it has cut to the bone. Seriously?

LeAnn said...

Richard just looked this up. It cost us $3,000 to have those fortune cookies made. And they only did it in the Pacific NW. Imagine if they did it across the nation. SEETHING. And I was wrong. It cost $57 MILLION to send those preletters out.

Anonymous said...

auntie that is crazy!!
-katie

Woodengirl said...

So are you telling me that the government paid for my cookie? What, did they offer them free to Asian restaurants or something? That's a little creepy. And that 57 million in postage could have been put to better use! It was like getting a save the date card. The actual mailing would be plenty in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

They paid the cookie maker to print the messages. And does anyone even remember the $2.5 MILLION commercial for the census during the Superbowl. I sure don't.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/02/eye_opener_fortune_cookies_pro.html?wprss=federal-eye

Woodengirl said...

Is that you Richard? Are you the anonymous poster?

LeAnn said...

Oops. No, that was me, LeAnn. Don't know why it was anon.

Jane said...

Wow, this information is intense. I filled out our census form in about 1 minute the other day, and Alex asked, "Did you already finish it?!" He thought it was a long form with lots of questions, as I kind of expected it to be too. We were laughing about how if the government is spending MILLIONS of dollars on it you'd think they'd maybe ask you more than your date of birth and race. I mean, really, that's all? Ha ha.