
View along the Cascade Loop
Flowers at Sun Mountain Lodge
Last weekend Marc and I drove the North Cascades Loop, a scenic highway that climbs past deep green forests and rushing waterfalls, up into the Cascade mountains. We were headed to the town of Winthrop to stay overnight at Sun Mountain Lodge.
As we entered the hotel lobby I saw a beautiful young bride dressed in a sparkled strapless gown. A frothy sweep of chiffon fell in layers from her fitted waist to just below her knees. Her legs were bare, and white high heeled sandals were strapped on her restless feet. She was standing all alone, waiting, and she seemed anxious. As Marc checked us in, I watched the bride as she tilted her head back and forth, and stood on tip toe, straining to see through the windows at the back of the lobby. I noticed that rows of white wooden chairs were set up on the lawn outside. We collected our room key, and began to wheel our bags toward the elevator, and I watched as a concierge approached the bride and asked her a question. "They aren't ready for me yet", I heard her answer, "I am supposed to wait here until they come for me."
Hours later I stood in the dark in our room. I was holding back the drapes and looking out the window. I could see the water in the swimming pool glimmering under the light of a lamp post, and the lawn beyond had been cleared of the remnants of the wedding. I heard a rustle in our bed and Marc turned my way, and asked what I was doing. "I didn't mean to wake you," I answered, "but I just can't sleep." Marc glanced at the clock which read two-zero-zero. "Well then" he said softly, "how about we go for a walk." He took my hand and we slipped out into the night. We walked together in the moonlight, past the shimmering pool, over the nuptial lawn, and along the path that wound around the resort. We walked quietly, in the kind of comfortable harmony that comes from years and years together. Crickets sang to us from the darkness, keeping time to our footsteps, and a cool mountain top breeze swirled around us, ruffling our hair. I began to feel like sleep might come.
When at last our path lead us back to the hotel, we pushed through the heavy doors and walked into the lobby. I heard a small commotion, and looked up towards the balcony just in time to see a bare foot, and an ankle, and a wisp of white chiffon disappear past the railing. I heard her giggle, and then other voices laughing, and someone saying, "everyone is going down to room 235!". In that moment it felt right to make a wish for the bride. I closed my eyes and I propelled my wish from the depth of my heart, outwards, tumbling forward towards her future. I wished quiet moonlight walks for her, and holding hands with her sweetheart, and the joys in life that come from the commitment of marriage. I wished that simple wedded goodness would sprinkle itself over her years, and that she would know the gentle kindness of an understanding husband. I wished my wish, and then I continued on in the direction of the elevator, with my companion by my side, knowing I would find peaceful slumber, and hoping that my wish for the bride would come true.

4 comments:
oh mom! you are such a wonderful writer and this is a beautiful post. i love reading your thoughts and observations. somehow weddings are just kind of magical. it would be fun and interesting to observe this event as an outsider. thank you for sharing.
ps i'm assuming because you posted that you figured out your computer problems?...hopefully
Wow Colleen, I agree with Katie you are a wonderful writer. This post made me cry. It was beautiful to hear your wish for the bride. I often go to the temple on saturday mornings so that I can see the new marraiges. Its a magical thing to see young couples starting out right. Thanks for sharing
What a wonderful sentiment. I love getting to know you better through your blog...
Beautiful. I think I'll take this wish for myself too.
Colleen - I agree with Katie, too. Your descriptions of everything you saw and felt are so sweet and easy to imagine. Thanks for sharing...
Post a Comment