I am looking forward to the 4Th of July.
Our celebration is held at Dad's lake house. It begins with an early morning of crabbing with Uncle Mat. Here is last year's catch.
Katie admiring a crab
Jane and Alex holding a crab
Mitchell kissing a crab
Randy coming in for a smooch.
If you are a crab minding your own business somewhere at the bottom of the sea, along the coast of Washington, and you suddenly find yourself being kissed on the lawn at Grandpa's lake...well, it's not looking good for ya buddy....it's not lookin' good.
Because down on the beach there is a big pot of water starting to boil
And the men in the tribe are starting to gather around it
Ready for the plunge
The manly men have the job of cleaning all the crab
And then the feasting begins
Marc cracking crab with his teeth. There are tools for that, dear.
We always eat birthday cake on the 4Th of July
because this beautiful girl decided to be born 8 weeks early, to the sound of exploding fireworks outside my hospital window, twenty seven years ago. I will never forget the joy I felt when I was reassured by her team of doctors and nurses that she was going to survive and be healthy. If that's not a good reason to eat cake, I don't know what is.
The 4Th of July is a day to goof around and do nothing,
or to go swimming with cousins
or handsome husbands
Or maybe even to try sail boarding
Under the watchful eye of your father in law
As evening descends on our happy scene
We gather together the sleepy children
And our sleepy wives
And we settle ourselves on the beach
Snuggled up to keep each other warm
Grandpa goes up to the house and he turns on his patriotic music full blast, so that the residents around the entire lake can hear
It sounds like this
And then finally, we participate in the ritual known as flashy dancing. Around and around we dance, to the beat of a rousing Sousa march, and the crackling of fireworks, under the influence of moonlight and summertime, as Uncle Mat tosses strobe flashers in the center of our circle.
I can't wait!
And by the way, thanks to Katie who conveniently downloaded these pictures from her camera onto my computer last year. Is it called pirating, if someone, who will remain nameless, innocently finds photos on their computer and kinda posts them on her blog?

7 comments:
Oh man. A lot to say.
First, I'm reaaaaaally sad I'm going to miss it this year!!! Boo hoo! I seriously was thinking of writing my own ode to the 4th (like when I had to miss Thanksgiving...wait a second, what is going on here? Why am I missing ALL MY FAVORITE HOLIDAYS?!)
Actually I may still write something. In honor of Katie's birthday too...(wow how sad, I'm advertising for my blog on yours)
Second, ahh I love looking at the photos. Brings back years and years of good memories. And it cracks me up that you stole Katie's photos. Good pictures, Kate.
And third...Alex at that time was sail boarding under the watchful eye of his father-in-law TO BE! ha ha. We were still just engaged.
Ha, Jane. I debated putting "to be" in all 3 of the husband/wife references for you and Alex. Since I am writing from here and now, where you are married, I decided not to. Maybe I need an editor.
I can't wait to read what you write on your blog.
Oh...I am so sad we are not going to be there too! Like really really sad. We should have just sucked it up and bought the tickets. Darn. Looks like the perfect 4th of July celebration!
Okay, I wasn't excited for the 4th this year, but now I have GOOSEBUMPS and can't wait! Thanks for taking these shots, Kate. When it is documented, it makes you remember the fun. And boohoo, you didn't buck up for tickets, Danielle. I'm craving big time a smooch in the neck of that baby! That makes me pout. I figured Jane and Alex wouldn't make it. Oh well. I'll just be glad that Katie and Randy can. I'm also pouting this year because Rico's daughter, Jennifer, said she and Devin would have totally come this year, but her ex has Devin until 8pm on the 4th. I was hoping that my family might finally meet them.
We look cold last year. This year will be better!!
LeAnn
Okay just stating for the record that I really considered coming but Alex had to work and I didn't want to leave him alone. I was THIS closing to choosing Higgies/Spitzies/Aunties over husband! (such a hard choice...but I miss all the women in the family)
You made the right choice, Jane, and I bet you have a wonderful time in CALIFORNIA with your husband!
AuntLeAnn
I agree. You made the right choice. But it is nice that you have a pull that makes you want to be with the rest of your family too. It just means that you know where the love is. You and Alex are making great memories though, that are important. I am sure you will have a great time today. Your plans sound really fun.
Post a Comment