At New Year's, instead of making a bunch of resolutions that I will ultimately break, causing me to feel bad about myself, I choose a word for the year that will be my theme. It gives me something to focus on, and an approach to my life to think about. I find having a theme to my year inspiring, and comforting, and strengthening. For instance, my word for 2008 was "Courage". I knew I would need something to help me face the many changes that come with entering the empty nest phase of life. I would need something to help me see myself as something beyond a Mom with kids at home to take care of. Courage was a good word for me last year. A very good word.
After much thought, and a long selection process, I have finally settled on my word for this year.
My word for 2009 will be.....da, da-da-da:
"Determination".
Determination means to have a solid intention. It is about the quality of being resolute, and having a firmness of purpose. I hope my word will help me move forward in my life this year. I want to approach the possibilities that come my way with determination! Say it again: Determination! One more time: Determination! Wuuu-eee that's a good word! It makes me think of marching straight ahead, no matter what. I like how it makes me feel kind of strong and able. And determined.
So how about you? Do you make resolutions, or do you do something else?

1 comment:
Oh that's a good word! I like it. I love your idea of a word theme...such a good one. Thanks for sharing it.
I forgot about the new years eve pictures. Maybe Jane will email me a few.
Post a Comment